What Are Feminized Cannabis Seeds & What Are They Used For?Cannabis Seedbank
There was a 50% chance that each cannabis plant would be a male until very recently. Only female cannabis plants can produce high levels of CBD and THC. If they stay around for too long, male plants will produce seed pods that they pollinate and drastically reduce the yields of female plants. Regular seed growers had to be able to identify the sex of their plants quickly in order to remove the males.
In the 1990s, feminized cannabis seed was created. This revolutionized cannabis cultivation. Feminized cannabis seeds can be genetically engineered so that they only produce female plants. This is 99.9% of the time. This advancement has made it easier and more cost-effective to grow cannabis.
Photoperiod plants are usually produced from feminized seeds. Photoperiod Cannabis flowers depending on the hours of daylight and darkness. Cannabis flowers in nature at the end of the summer, when the days are shorter. Indoors, photoperiod marijuana is kept vegetative until it is time to stimulate bloom with reduced light hours.
Feminized Cannabis Seeds Pros & Cons
You don’t have to go through all the hassle when you can feminize your seeds with a nearly 100% success rate. We cannot ignore the pros and cons of feminized cannabis seeds. It’s not the perfect solution.
The benefits of feminizing cannabis seeds
- Every plant can produce buds
- The strike rate of almost 100% means that there is no need to worry about plants being lost or damaged in the future.
- You don’t have to be concerned about checking plants in the pre-flowering stage for male or female characteristics.
- There is no chance of pollination without pollen sacs made by male plants
The Cons of Feminizing Cannabis Seeds
- They are not recommended if you want to grow seeds because they can prevent the development and maintenance of male genetics.
- If you are looking to create new exciting strains, you will need to have male seeds.
- Every seller may not be reliable. It is possible to end up with low-quality seeds that were feminized, which could lead to hermaphrodites.
The Most Amazing Facts about Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Some growers take feminized cannabis seeds as a given, but others still have questions, especially beginners. These feminized cannabis plants are worth sharing with your friends.
- Anyone who has ever tried cannabis knows that the female side of the plant is what makes it so enjoyable. Because female cannabis plants have higher levels of THC, the most loved cannabinoid in cannabis; this is why it’s so popular. To protect the females from being pollinated, growers keep male and female cannabis plants separate. Feminized cannabis seeds eliminate the need to do this type of “sorting” as they are guaranteed to be male.
- The idea of creating feminized cannabis seeds was not a new technique. It was used for years in agriculture before it was successfully adapted to cannabis in the 1980s.
- Although there are many methods to create feminized cannabis plants, they all involve stressing the female plant until it becomes hermaphroditic. Then, it produces pollen which is used to fertilize another female.
- Some growers were concerned that the feminized cannabis plants would produce unstable hermaphrodites when they were first released. These fears were mostly unfounded, and feminization techniques have improved to make this problem rare. According to scientific definitions, feminized cannabis seeds are feminized. They are sometimes called ‘female cannabis seeds’. It is easy to see why the two names are interchangeable.
- Feminized cannabis seeds were initially more expensive than regular cannabis seeds. Nowadays, there are many varieties of high-quality, affordable feminized marijuana seeds that growers can choose from, which gives them a wider range of options.
- Feminized cannabis plants grow in the same conditions as regular cannabis seeds. They do not require any special nutrients, techniques, or equipment.
- The storage requirements for feminized cannabis seeds are the same as for regular seeds. These seeds should be kept dry at temperatures between 5 and 7° Celsius and in the dark. A refrigerator door is a good place to store them.
- There are many benefits to growing cannabis from feminized seeds, but they have particular advantages for those who grow medicinal cannabis. They may not have to spend as much time checking for male plants and weeding them out when they appear as with regular cannabis seeds.
- The misconception that feminized cannabis plants are genetically engineered is the one about feminized seeds. Genetic modification refers to selective breeding processes that can also occur naturally. All other cannabis varieties could be called “genetically modified”. The genetic engineering process involves the direct infusion of the DNA of one species with the DNA from another species – for example, tomatoes with fish genes.
Barneys offers a growing selection of feminized seed varieties, as a response to fans’ requests for feminized barneys farm seeds. You can also browse the White label selection for high-quality, affordable feminized seeds online.